Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> So when..., I have asked before.
wcs40110
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,240

Do you cut the bottle out completely? and start potty training a girl? and have them use a plate/fork?
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Bottle and passy both totally gone by 1st birthday,

Al started using a plate right away, and was using a spoon/ fork at about 16 months

as for potty training, it depends on the kid. Al is 22 months and thinks she is ready. I'm not,but I am following her lead, and when she says she has to go, I take her.
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 8 2008, 07:05 PM)
Bottle and passy both totally gone by 1st birthday,

Al started using a plate right away, and was using a spoon/ fork at about 16 months

as for potty training, it depends on the kid. Al is 22 months and thinks she is ready. I'm not,but I am following her lead, and when she says she has to go, I take her.

Ditto, potty training is so different for each kid. When she starts waking up dry or showing an interest is when I'd start paying attention to her interest.
PMEmail Poster

Kentuckychick
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

QUOTE (wcs40110 @ Mar 8 2008, 05:56 PM)
Do you cut the bottle out completely? and start potty training a girl? and have them use a plate/fork?

This is from both my child development education and my own personal experience;

Most peds recommend cutting the bottle at age 1... Caydee is, however 18 months old and still gets a bottle at nap time (she gets rocked with the bottle, drinks a couple ounces and then gets put to bed without the bottle). The thing is many people complain about bottle use without realizing that sippy cups (especially the nipple kid aka; nubby brand) are just as bad for a child's teeth. When used in moderation (ie; during meals and not allowed to walk around with them unless they contain water) bottles and sippy cups are pretty much equal. The problem comes when speech difficulties are noted or there are other problems. We could probably take the bottle away tomorrow and Caydee would be fine, but it's her comfy, bonding time and we see no need to give it up.

Potty training for any child depends on that child. Connor was fully potty trained by his third birthday (that was the last day he wore diapers). Caydence is already showing signs of being interested. Watch for interest and give it a try when you think the child's ready. The best thing to do is to make it as stress free as possible... so if the child doesn't seem to be getting it, then lay off for a while and try again later.

Plate and fork, start experimenting with it as soon as you offer table foods. The worst that can happen is they make a mess thumb.gif

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

Alex was done with a bottle at 10mons old and a passy at 13 or 14 mons old

Plate and fork/spoon I dont remember how old he was but I agree with above....right away.

Potty training is so differant for every kid its hard to say. We started when Alex was 2.

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Neither Andrew or Allie had a bottle, but Andrew had a nuk until a little after he turned two.
Plate and fork for Andrew I can't really remember... I think it was around 10 or 11 months but the food ususally ended up dumped on the high chair tray. wink.gif
Allie has been using a spoon since she was 9 or 10 months old, but not for everything, and a lot of the time she just holds it. She's one now and won't leave a plate alone so most of the time I give her her food in a bowl with a suction cup.

Potty training... we've tried a couple times with Andrew but we're not there yet. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
Jackie012007
Posted: Mar 9 2008, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,017

Carly has a bottle at night before she goes to bed... she won't drink milk from a sippy cup!!! She just turned 14 months. We are trying to phase that out. She uses a plate and has used a fork or spoon a couple of times, but it's really messy. She is still a pacifier queen, though. I let her use the Nuks for naps and bedtime, and during the day she uses a soothie pacifier, and she more chews on it than anything, because she is teething big time.

I'm TERRIFIED of potty training!!! blink.gif

--------------------
Jackie - mama to Carly Evelyn (01-05-07) and Bride-to-Be (02-28-09)
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Mar 9 2008, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

Each child is different. Bottles were gone by around 8 months... sippy cups were gone around 13 or 14 months, when they were able to drink out of a cup without making too much of a mess... eating with utensils, right from when they were able to grasp the concept of them - i.e - they know to open their mouth when they see the fork or spoon coming... they were handed one and allowed to experiment.

and potty training, all my kids were fairly early... zach around 22 months, emilie around 20 months and Naomie around 24 months. (Day, btw... night training came around about 5 or 6 months later for all of them... still working on it with Naomie.)

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Mar 10 2008, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Like everyone else says, every kid is different.

Brooke was off the bottle at 11-12 month, used a fork/spoon somewhat decently at 15-16 months, potty trained at just over 3.

Madison no bottle around 10 months, used a fork/spoon around 13 months, potty trained at just about 2. Honestly for us at least the 2nd kid was much easier because they want to be like the big kids...Madison pretty much skipped the sippy cup stage because she wanted a real cup like Brooke.
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Mar 11 2008, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Bottle done by 1, or around that first birthday.

Plate...both boys had highchairs so their food goes/went right on the tray. Once they started eating at the normal table is when they started getting a plate. Fork and spoon, shortly after the 1st birthday. Sometimes they play with it a lot, but it's the exposure and practice that is most important at that age, not the perfecting of it.

Potty training...when they "can", they "should". Not when they 'want to', but rather when they have that proper bladder control, which is generally fully functioning by 2.5-3 years old.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
Calimama
Posted: Mar 11 2008, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

Miabella was off the bottle by 1, never took a paci, used a plate and fork (not always properly) at a year but learned how to ACTUALLY use them at like 13-14 months. We haven't started potty training. wacko.gif
PMEmail Poster
:.Mrs_Mommy.:
Posted: Mar 12 2008, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 18,118

None of my kids used a pacifier. Aaron and Kyla were off the bottle by 1st birthday. Lily was about 14 months old because she had some health problems that prevented such a large change. She had asthma, they thought she had a hole in her heart, she was on nebulizer treatments 6x daily along with cough meds 2x daily, she was a little tiny mess for the first 2 yrs.

They all started eating on their own right away, about 10 months or so and it went directly on the highchair tray with no utensils. They just picked it up with fingers and ate. Using silverware and plate was around 12-13 months or so.

Anyway the PT was really difficult in our house. Aaron was PT at age 4, Lily at 3, Kyla at 2 1/2 or so.

--------------------
~Kalli~

Mommy to:
Aaron Joseph 01.20.00
Lily Ann Marie 04.03.01
Kyla Raye 05.25.04

Photobucket

Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
My2Beauties
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

Hanna got done with the paci at 10 months, she was done with the bottle completely at 13 months, and she was potty trained around 23-24 months. She was night-trained immediately, she has only peed in the bed one time since she has been PT'd. She did regress back a little bit with #2 there for a while because she had some withholding issues, but she is fine now, has been for quite some time. She was PT'd on #1 at like 20 months, #2 takes a little bit longer.

Aubrey is 10.5 months, I'm going to take the paci away very soon, because I believe the paci should be gone before the bottle, I think it makes it easier with the bottle, because the bottle is harder IMHO at that age. Her bottle will be gone by 12-13 months too and so will the paci by I'd say 11.5 months (that is my goal).

Oh yeah, the fork/spoon thing, I think Hanna was probably around 15-16 months or so, I'm not quite sure, she mainly used her hands (still tries to sometimes, drives me crazy wacko.gif ). Aubrey can pick up food with her hands now, she still doesn't get much table food because well...she has no toofers yet. wub.gif Just baby food so I feed it to her. She eats those puff things by Gerber that are like cherry, sweet potato, and strawberry flavored that melt in their mouth and she'll eat Zwieback toast too.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0149 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]