Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Meatloaf, Best Recipes with 6 Ingredients or Less
supermom
Posted: Apr 21 2003, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

I never put a lot of stuff in it because when my kids were littler they were so picky - but not now, but this is still the way I make it!

1 lb Ground hamburger
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all together - I always use my hands to mix it up, it seems to work better. When the girls were littler, they used to go "eeeeeewwwwwww" but now that they are cooking themselves, they use the same technique!

I think the oats give it a good texture, and they are healthier for you than crackers. Shape it into a loaf shape and place in a baking dish, or place in a loaf pan. Sometimes I top with a little ketchup, sometimes I don't, depends on my mood!

Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour - until middle is no longer pink. Drain off grease and serve - yummy!

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I am going to make meatloaf tonight. I like to add 1/2 a thing of sausage to the 1 lb ground beef. And, I am going to substitute something for the oats. Sooooo.....

1. Is it better to substitute crackers or bread crumbs for the oats?

2. Since I am adding the sausage, do I need to increase the eggs, item substituted for oats, or any of the other ingredients?

And, of course, I will have to make mashed potatoes for TLCDad and Ashley. smile.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
supermom
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

I personally like it better with crushed crackers - like the texture better - but that is a personal preference. I think if I were making it with bread crumbs, I would start with a little less, see what the texture is like and if it's not firm enough, add a little more at a time, waiting a little between each addition.

If you were adding another 1/2 of meat, I would increase the egg by one and the oats/crackers/bread crumbs by 1/4 to 1/2 a cup, too. And season to taste - if you like things saltier, then add more salt, etc, etc.

And you might also have to increase the baking time a little too since there's more to cook.

And I am sure TLCDad is telling you not to forget the gravy - laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0176 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]