Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Standardized Testing
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 7 2010, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley's school is taking the standardized tests this week and next week. She usually scores pretty high on the tests, but I don't really put too much thought or consideration into just one test. I actually hate this time of year. Ashely came home in tears yesterday because she didn't finish the last couple of questions in one or two of the sections because she ran out of time. I tried to reassure her on several occasions, telling her it was ok, some of the questions are 6th grade questions, and that she did her best and she shouldn't worry about it. But she was so upset that she didn't even get to answer the questions. I reassured her over and over, but she still had a tummy ache when she woke up this morning (I am sure from the stress).

I don't know about you, but I hate this time of year. And, I am not sure why the test even needs to be timed? What does that prove? I was talking to another Mom whose daugher is in the public school district, and she said that her daughter's teacher told them in the last 30 seconds of the test that time was almost out and that they should fill in the bubble of the question that they didn't get to (without even reading the question). So, they radomly filled in an answer hoping to get one right here or there. Ummm.. how does that show what a child knows? Crazy! I think it would make more sense not to time the test and let kids answer the questions... why do they have to be fast at it, what does that prove?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Oct 7 2010, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,127

I've never been a fan of timed tests~mostly because it's so not a life skill. Seriously, when were you last timed for anything?

But back to your question~ I assume the reason is in the title~standardized. Everyone gets the same questions, has the same amount of time to complete them and how you perform with those set of factors is what sets the "standard" by which your child is held to. I've always felt badly for the kids that stress about them. O gets some nervous about the Tera Nova but never to the extent it affects Ashley. hug.gif We only test for one week (ours start Oct 18th) but I know you get more comprehensive results than we do. Wonder if that's the difference? Even the OAA (last year's OAT) is only one week. Two weeks sounds so oppressive! Plus, that's a ton of teaching time lost for testing! One of my favorite school psychologists once told me that all the tests seem so backwards to him. He always said "We time the things in life that no one will ever time you on again and we never time kids on things their employer will."

As to the publics, it's the perfect example of government intervention ruining a system. There is such an enormous amount of pressure put on teachers and administrators to do well on the OAA, it's unimaginable. All their funding and ratings are contingent on how the students perform. It becomes even more about beating the clock than knowing the answer. You really wouldn't believe all the secret cues teachers have put in place to "assist" their students during OAA week. From January on, all they do is teach to the test. Maybe that's the silver lining here, Dee Dee. At least the Tera Nova is only for personal info and has no real impact on funding, teacher performance, etc in the Catholic School system. Aside from 1 or 2 weeks of the year, the rest of the time the teachers are free to really just teach.

It is a tough week, though. hug.gif to you and Ashley!!

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 7 2010, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

((HUGS)) for Ashley.

I've NEVER EVER done well with timed tests. I have major test anxiety.

Kylie has never complained about the standardized tests so far, but she did have anxiety with timed math tests last year. It took her a good month of these tests before she got over the anxiety.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

jcc64
Posted: Oct 7 2010, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I could go off for a VERY long time about standardized testing, but I'll spare you all the agony. Dee Dee, just remind her that the tests aren't about HER, they're about the teacher and the school. Tell her she should try her best but beyond that, to forget about it. I told my boys this, and it really helped them to just relax about the whole thing.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 8 2010, 04:24 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

I sent Ashley's teacher a brief email letting her know how stressed out Ashley was about the test and not being able to finish the last few questions. Ashley's teacher talked to her, basically said the same thing I did to her, but now Ashley seems to be doing much better with it. I guess hearing it from the teacher instead of Mom made a difference. Not sure how I feel about that, but I am just glad she is not as stressed about it.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 8 2010, 04:26 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Oct 7 2010, 11:58 AM)
We only test for one week (ours start Oct 18th) but I know you get more comprehensive results than we do. Wonder if that's the difference? Even the OAA (last year's OAT) is only one week. Two weeks sounds so oppressive! Plus, that's a ton of teaching time lost for testing!

They do about an hour or 90 minutes each day on the test, not all day long, and they don't test on Friday when they have their normal spelling test. They do the Terra Nova with the IQ test on even number years, so this year they didn't have the IQ portion along with the Standardized test.

Maybe that's the silver lining here, Dee Dee. At least the Tera Nova is only for personal info and has no real impact on funding, teacher performance, etc in the Catholic School system. Aside from 1 or 2 weeks of the year, the rest of the time the teachers are free to really just teach.

This is true, they don't depend on the testing for funding so I think they are less likely to "teach to the test".

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

luvbug00
Posted: Oct 8 2010, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

mya is not a test taker at all. But here unless you have a learning disability your timed.
I wasn't though in my day because i have transfer issues.

i feel bad for the kids. it's toomuch stress.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0128 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]