Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> fatherhood board, just a suggestion
salmndr007
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,036

I am not sure how many dads or dad-to-be's there are on this site, but I have been looking all over the net for fatherhood message boards. The only ones I have come across are for the "typical" guy who likes to discuss which they like better, blondes or redheads (sheesh). Anywho, the reason I am suggesting is because this is my first (maybe even second as well) child(ren) and I am trying to figure this whole soon to be father thing out. My dad was never around when I was a child so I don't know what to do as far as becoming a dad myself. I never learned how to shoot free-throws or throw a baseball, and I would like to talk with other dads who have brought up children and emotions and what-not. Anywho...just a suggestion. weirdo.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOL
CAMSMOM1
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

The Cam Man is 2 yrs old

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,907

I agree with Sal. I also think we should have a fatherhood board. We have been getting more Fathers signing up, and they need a place to go to talk to other fathers about their children, and questions they might have.
I hope that we can give them a place to go and chat with other Dads.

Ann

--------------------
~Ann~ Wife to Justin, Mommy to Cam
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail PosterAOL
redchief
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

hismiley.gif Welcome aboard. There aren't many of us dads here, but there are a few, and we're pretty much as focused on parenting as the moms. Just a note; don't discount the moms' input on your questions and comments either, as I've found that the moms' do a great job here too, despite their afflictions (being female and all). Heheh... Just kidding moms. wink.gif

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

CantWait
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

thumb.gif I agree there's lots of you men / dads popping up.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
C&K*s Mommie
Posted: Jan 5 2006, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

President & CEO of the CNCK Corporation

Member No.: 2,622

that is a great idea! Who decides which new boards are put up??

I've found that the moms' do a great job here too, despite their afflictions (being female and all). Heheh... Just kidding moms. 

emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

--------------------
*~*wife to Christopher for 5yrs~*~
~*~mother to Christian (5) & Kellie (3.5)*~*

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
fashionmumofboys
Posted: Jan 6 2006, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,054

Great idea Sal. thumb.gif

--------------------
MARY Mommy to:

Frank - 18 yrs
Rambo - 3 yrs
Alesio - 2 yrs.

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 6 2006, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

To all you dad's here, I think it's great you join in and do this!
PMEmail Poster
Ladybug
Posted: Jan 6 2006, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,052

Hey Sal!

I'm new here too! I just found this site and so far I think it's great. I enjoy reading the messages, everyone is very nice and it's a place that I can come to talk to other mothers/parents about their children and problems and to know that I'm not the "only one" in the world with those feelings and/or problems.

I think it would be great to have a dad's site but this is the "Parenting Club". I don't know why there aren't more father's posting their messages.

I say "Welcome"!!!

Kari

--------------------
user posted image

Dakota Rae
PMEmail Poster
salmndr007
Posted: Jan 9 2006, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,036

I think it would be great to have a dad's site but this is the "Parenting Club". I don't know why there aren't more father's posting their messages.

I would assume that a lot of dad's have their own dads to learn from (plus, the overwhelming mom consensus can be a little intimidating wink.gif ). Me, personally, my mother and father got divorced when I was 3 and I never really heard from him again till he was very sick and by that point had no mental processes to speak of. I was the only one of his children who stood by him in the end and had to finally make the most painful decision of my life. Even though I never knew him, I felt like I owed him the relief from all of the pain and suffering as well as the connection that I felt to my biological father. See, I never really learned any "guy" stuff persay. I have a feeling my wife and I are having twin boys (it is what both of us are having reoccuring dreams about) and I just want to be the best dad I can be. I know trying to teach them guy things will be a learning experience for me as well, but I figure I have a few years to lean to throw a football and baseball before they are wanting to play catch unsure.gif When I started looking for a site to get information and talk to other fathers, I found this one and it seemed like there were a lot of good people who have gone through all of this before. So I joined and here I am...taking in as much experience as anyone wants to dish out. I appreciate the warm welcome and I am sure I will have plenty more questions futher down the road.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOL
jcc64
Posted: Jan 9 2006, 07:38 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Hi and welcome. While I am not a guy, I am married to one who entered fatherhood without alot of knowledge about how to relate to his kids. Although his father didn't abandon the family in a literal sense, he was completely uninvolved and absent from my husband's life as a child (and now). Some of it was cultural (dads were typically uninvolved in any hands on childrearing in Korea, where he was born), some of it was the long hours his dad put in trying to make it as an immigrant, but alot of it was his father's incredibly remote personality. He just doesn't seem to need or want to interact with his kids or grandkids, for whatever his reasons are. So, dh grew up never having played catch, or gone to ballgames, or any of that typical father/son stuff. He claims that you can't miss what you never had in the first place. He still played (excelled, actually) all kinds of sports growing up, despite the fact that his parents never attended a single game or awards ceremony, and he still managed to be a good student, with no help at all from his family.
You would expect him to follow the same pattern when he became a father himself. But thankfully, he learned how NOT to be from his dad, and he has thrown himself into fatherhood with such enthusiasm that every kid in town wants to be around him. He coaches several sports with my sons, and he just really enjoys doing typical guy stuff with them (he's also very sweet with my dd, but she's only 3). And although they all happen to be natural athletes, I think your lack of experience shouldn't stand in the way of being involved with your kids. The proper mechanics of throwing a baseball are completely secondary to the time and attention you give your child. As long as you're together, and you're giving him/her your undivided attention and love, it really doesn't matter what you're doing.
I suspect the fact that you're already thinking about it before the kids are even on the planet reveals much about your potential as a new dad.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 9 2006, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

I agree about the fatherhood board! Sal ( my husband ) is so very worried about being a good dad. But I tell him you are already worried about it and we have 6 months before the baby(ies) get here, and that shows a lot!!! But reguardless, I think a fatherhood board would be great where dads can get together and talk about being a daddy and what is going on in their homes ... kind of like the moms do on here!

* I am going to personalize this a little more when I get to the house, I am at work ( babysitting ) so, this is there laptop, I don't have access to my pictures ... *

Jess

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
Freckled Momma
Posted: Jan 9 2006, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 3,065

I agree...a board for dad's would be good for them. Us mom's are gonna chat all over regardless... rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

PMEmail Poster
TLCDad
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

Hi all, I just wanted to let you know I am not ignoring you on this. I am just waiting to see if there are more interest. I tend not to make new forums unless there is enough interest due to a chance of the forum not getting posts which could look like a lack of support to guests.

But definitely, if there is enough interest I will create the Dad's board. I always wanted to anyway.

While were getting more interests, feel free to discuss a potential title for this board.

Thank you

PMEmail Poster
Athanasius
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,082

I would love a Fathering board, in fact - I've registered in anticipation! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster

TheOaf66
Posted: May 24 2006, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

Member No.: 3,764

I would have to agree with you, a lot of the things on here are mom related which is fine. But I would like to get to know the other dads here to talk with them about things that fathers have to know about. So if there is a certain board that the dads hang out at I would love to know so I can chat it up with them...thanks cool.gif

--------------------
Troy, Married to Jennie (Boo&BugsMom), Dad to Tanner("Mini-Me") and Aiden ("Boo Boo").
PMEmail Poster
ashtonsmama
Posted: Jun 8 2006, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

YAY! So happy to see you men finally got your Fatherhood board!
thumb.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0154 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]