Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New forum Suggestion
Daisyx3
Posted: Mar 30 2005, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,593

I used to belong to a parenting site and I hosted (Moderated) a board called Hot Topics. This is where we discussed what we thought of abortions, The way people drove etc.. Sometimes it got a little over heated but it was really moderated good and they had to follow the same rules as everyone else. No cursing each other or belittleing. If there was belittling the post would be deleted if it was out of hand.

I dont know how you choose your moderators but if you decided to put in a hot topics board i would love to moderate it .

My E-mail adress is LanaKBZ@yahoo.com. Also if one of you Administrators could E-mail me I have a few questions.

THanks

This post has been edited by Daisyx3 on Mar 30 2005, 07:59 PM

--------------------
Kyleigh Morgynn
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

My sister is
Lilypie Baby Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 30 2005, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea... to have a place for these kinds of topics and people would be "fore-warned". However, I can see it getting out of hand and people getting hurt. Most the people here do pretty good about sticking to the topic with debates, but it is hard when a lot of hot topics are so personal.

I am interested to hear what others have to say... if there is interest in this kind of forum. I am still on the fence.

Let's see what that others think.

Thanks again for the suggestions, that's what makes this place so special.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Boys r us
Posted: Mar 30 2005, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 378

I think it's a really great idea..but only in the form of and IDEA..once it becomes a reality, it's no good!! A board I used to belong to was such a close knit, family like group, then they started a debate board, which I was a moderator on..lol..imagine that one for a second!
Anyhow..no matter how hard everyone tried to "not take it personal" it just didn't work like that. In my opinion and in many other's opinions also on that board, it was sort of like the demise of the happy place we once had. You had people coming to the Board JUST for the debate forum that didn't participate in any other part of the board. Also, I mean exactly HOW do you moderate a debate board, whose call is it when it comes down to deciding if it's a low blow or if it's just an incredibly honest opinion?

We have debates here on a lot of current topics and for the most part, they ALWAYS stay well within the realm of respectable, I think if you take the same topic that is a debate in General discussion and put it in a forum that is classified as for debates, it changes the whole dynamics of it..b/c in a debate setting, it's sort of a "anything goes" feel and people don't tend to mind there p's and q's like they would discussing a heated subject on a general board. Sure you can moderate against profanity and so forth on a debate board, but there are so many ways to be ugly without cursing or name calling...I really think it is a bad idea b/c in the end I think it pulls the community apart and destroys the closeness we all feel for each other...I mean in the real world it's kind of hard to seperate fighting and bickering on one board and caring and supporting each other on another. In the name of peace, LOL, I vote no!

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM

gr33n3y3z
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 03:55 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

I say no also
why ruine a good thing

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
atlantamomof2
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 04:04 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,138

Everyone's so supportive and wonderful to each other on here. wub.gif I would hate to see that change because people have different views on abortion (or ANY subject). sad.gif You're just asking for trouble when you debate things like that. We need to HELP each other, not fight with each other.

I would have to say no to that suggestion. mellow.gif

--------------------
~Valerie...Wife, Mother, Teacher~
Maggie (04-10-2000) Joshua (12-24-2003)

Before going to bed, give your troubles to God.
He'll be up all night anyway.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
PMEmail Poster
mammag
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 04:45 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

I'm going to have to go with a "no" on this also. I think an occasional discussion of an issue like we have here (for example the Sex Offender thread) is one thing because we all kind of know to watch what we're saying and how we are saying it. I think once you put it in a forum where that is the whole purpose and you are trying to prove your opinion instead of just stating it someone will end up getting their feelings hurt. I think it would be hard to then switch over to being friendly in another thread. That is what I really like about this board....

In the past I visited boards where they had these forums and they really turned me off to boards. This is the only board I've ever posted consistantly to because it is such a friendly group.

Besides, how many times has anyone ever switched to the other side after debating a topic. People whos beliefs are strong enough to debate are usually strong enough that they aren't going to be persuaded to change their position.

I agree with Nichole, it's good in theory, but not in practice.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

I say no also. I really love sharing things about Jason and some exciting and new things going on with me and my family, but I would rather not be debating moral issues with you guys, I like having a happy and fun place to come to

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
kimberley
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

no vote here too. i think we have all had enough drama on this board to last a lifetime. there are plenty of debate boards on the net, lets just stick to parenting wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Hi guys. Been off battling the crowds at Disney for Spring Break.
I agree with what's been said already. I think we can manage to discuss/debate in our regular forums as issues warrant, but to create a board deliberately designed to be provocative and/or inflammatory is not a good way to go. We have a huge spectrum of political/spiritual ideaologies here, one that is not likely to fare well if continuously thrown into confrontational discussions.
Having said all that, the one thing I take issue with is MammaMag's assertion that people never change their minds. While I acknowledge that may seem true on the surface, I think it's important to keep a dialogue going between people with vastly different viewpoints. I will never turn into a conservative Republican, but I am genuinely interested in how and why you arrive at your opinions. It humanizes all of us. It's important to keep the communication going, both here on the board, and IRL as well.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
mammag
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 06:35 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Mar 31 2005, 09:31 AM)
Having said all that, the one thing I take issue with is MammaMag's assertion that people never change their minds. While I acknowledge that may seem true on the surface, I think it's important to keep a dialogue going between people with vastly different viewpoints. I will never turn into a conservative Republican, but I am genuinely interested in how and why you arrive at your opinions. It humanizes all of us. It's important to keep the communication going, both here on the board, and IRL as well.

Point taken.....sorry. sad.gif

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Josie83
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 06:48 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 622

I would say no as well for the above reasons mentioned. I like it the way it is wink.gif xx
PMEmail Poster
PascosGirl
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,590

I would say no but for a different reason. I think this board is a good place to come to "escape" the troubles of everyday life. We are bombarded by sad stories and political disputes on the news every single day. It is nice to have somewhere to come that no one talks about that crap (usually). We focus on the things that are really important, like our children and our families. JMO

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

I agree my vote is no

I woudl just hate to see it started and end up flowing over into everything we have come to love about this place

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I had a feeling this is the way the vote would go, but this is a community so I wanted to get everyone's feedback. Thanks.

I really do appreciate the suggestion. Even though we aren't going to create this forum at this time, please keep the suggestions coming!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

QUOTE (kimberley @ Mar 31 2005, 08:12 AM)
no vote here too. i think we have all had enough drama on this board to last a lifetime. there are plenty of debate boards on the net, lets just stick to parenting wink.gif

This is exactly what I was going to say. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
aspenblue1
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Isabella and Kyrsten

Member No.: 68

I have to agree with everyone else on this topic.

--------------------
Carrie Mommy to Isabella 09/06/2002 and Kyrsten 06/27/2005

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Daisyx3
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,593

Ok well I guess my h/t board is not gonna exist lol. Thats ok. I understand.

--------------------
Kyleigh Morgynn
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

My sister is
Lilypie Baby Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Isabelita
Posted: Apr 4 2005, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,659

I think a bit of debating is healthy biggrin.gif But I can see why it might get out of hand

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
3xsthefun
Posted: Apr 5 2005, 02:01 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 227

Well I guess I am one of the few think it is a good idea. But I can see why others think it is not. I just think some subjects belong in a hot topics forum then general.

It really does not matter to me either way though I don't like to argue with people anyways. laugh.gif

I also like to say I'd hate see for someone's feelings get hurt then leave. I really like this place and would hate see it torn apart over a debate.

This post has been edited by katie&maegan'smomma on Apr 5 2005, 02:03 PM

--------------------
Tina wife to Rob (Sept. 25, 1999)
mommy to Kaitlynn (11), Maegan (7) & Ryan (3.5)
PMMSN
GavinsMommy
Posted: Apr 5 2005, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Mum to Gavin Cole

Member No.: 878

I think a Hot Topics board would be the beginning of the end of people coming here. I have seen it happen on one too many boards. That is exactly why I left my other board that I was a member of the expecting club and had been on there for most of my pregnancy and up until a couple weeks ago.

Things get very heated. It is hard to have a debate without someone getting offended or too opinionated or just flat out rude.

When a group of people that love and care for each other get too personal and start trying to "prove" points (which is essentially what a hot topics board is for), then they start to realize that we all have so many differences and some just can't handle others being different.

I say we keep it the way it is and express our opinions in GD's and if it turns into people giving their 2 cents about something, so be it. I have a feeling people would tend to be far less gentle in a hot topics board.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0105 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]