Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Going away, need advice
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

Our anniversary is coming up on the 20th and DH told me yesterday that his mom (my MIL) has booked a flight to come out and watch the boys for us. Yeah, so she isn't as bad as I describe. rolleyes.gif DH wanted to surprise me, but he is planning either 1 or 2 nights away, either one night in Denver (an hour away) at the hotel we stayed at on our wedding night. wub.gif Or two two nights in Vail (3 hours away) at a resort/spa. He wants me to decide where we want to go and whether I'm comfortable leaving Wesley, who is still nursing at least 4-6 times a day. There are times where I feel that Wesley is getting close to done, but then he gets a new tooth and it's back to nursing every few hours. He will take whole milk in a sippy for DH, but not for me. I'm not sure he will do it for MIL.

Now I don't know exactly what I'm asking for with this post blush.gif ..But I feel overwhelmed with guilt in trying to make a decision. I'm really torn and feel put in the middle here. I don't want to go cold turkey and try and wean Wesley completely in only two weeks. And I feel guilty leaving my baby who obviously still needs me. But then I also feel guilty for DH, who works so hard and deserves a break. He supports me BF, but I can tell he REALLY wants to get away for the two nights. He keeps telling me that Wil weaned this way (Me getting away for a couple days).

Honest opinions please. You will not hurt my feelings. I just need someone to give me that push on which way to go. I know Wesley can handle one night because we tried it about a month ago on our tip out in CA. I was in bad shape though, completely engorged because I forgot to bring my pump. But he survived. But TWO nights and two days???? Ugh. I can't stop worrying that he isn't ready or that I am not ready to let go. sad.gif He will be 16 months on the 20th. Sorry that was long. blahblah.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

hug.gif I don't have any advice, I stopped BFing much sooner than year and by my choice, not basing it on the kids (that's a terrible way to put it blush.gif ) so I don't really know about weaning older children and trying to do so during teething, etc.

All I can say is, you do deserve a break and it sounds like such a great weekend that it would be a shame to let it be marred by guilt and worry, so if you can't come to a decision you feel good about maybe it's not the right time. hug.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
wcs40110
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 5,240

You could always pack the pump and play it by ear.
PMEmail Poster

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

can you start pumping now, and freeze it, and then he can still have breast milk, and you can take your pump so you dont have to stop breast feeding.
i dont think you will feel comfortable if you feel pushed into stopping.
and obviously you two are not ready or you might have already started to ween on your own.
two days cold turkey might be hard on both of you.

if you are truely ready and just needed that right gently push to get started, this might it. maybe you pump some now, and start to give him a bottle and then ween him starting right now,
i only made it 13 months with jake, but I wish i had kept going. i think he wasnt ready. and i felt pressured.

I think you could pump enough to freeze for two days and two nights if you started now. and with the pump with you, you should be able to keep your supply up. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

and i forgot to mention, if he will take the sippy cup for his mom, then he has the option that way of taking the whole milk or else the breast milk.
and you can either cont. with that when you come back or not, you can always play it by ear, and you will still have an option that way.
sounds like a really nice time away

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
My2Beauties
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

I'm the same as luvmykids, both my kids were 6 weeks or under when I stopped BF'ing because of different reasons so I don't know much about older kids. But to be honest with you I'd go away you deserve it, he's probably ok to wean by now, I mean I would think. But I'm no expert.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Thanks you guys. Still unsure. DH just called from work and said "have you thought about what we talked about last night". unsure.gif

Wesley is teething BAD today! Getting about four new teeth upfront. He wants to be on me and sucking all day, I'm his paci. I wouldn't mind, but it is literally ALL day, any chance. I feel his pain. I gave him some Motrin and it worked for maybe an hour. bawling.gif It just makes me worry even more about leaving him with my MIL when he feels this way. Hopefully the teething will be gone by that time...but who knows for sure. sad.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Rae, I personally think you need to get away and deserve to get away..........but I am not sure what to say about the BF.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (calebsmom @ Oct 4 2007, 03:22 PM)
can you start pumping now, and freeze it, and then he can still have breast milk, and you can take your pump so you dont have to stop breast feeding.
i dont think you will feel comfortable if you feel pushed into stopping.
and obviously you two are not ready or you might have already started to ween on your own.
two days cold turkey might be hard on both of you.

if you are truely ready and just needed that right gently push to get started, this might it. maybe you pump some now, and start to give him a bottle and then ween him starting right now,
i only made it 13 months with jake, but I wish i had kept going. i think he wasnt ready. and i felt pressured.

I think you could pump enough to freeze for two days and two nights if you started now. and with the pump with you, you should be able to keep your supply up. hug.gif hug.gif

I could pump, but I don't think he will take BM in a sippy anymore, definitely not a bottle. We haven't done it for so long, so he really isn't used to it. And honestly, I don't think I make much anyway. I admit that I'm nursing more for his comfort. I still get letdowns and I hear him swallow, so I am producing, but again, it wouldn't really be necessary to offer it in a bottle since he does take whole milk from a sippy. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will definitely take my pump on the trip if we go, for my sake.

I'm sorta thinking that I just need to crack down on giving him the whole milk from a sippy whenever possible. DH can give it to him before bed and see what happens. Two weeks isn't a long time, but it's still time. So we will see.

Thanks for you all who said I deserve the break. I really would love to go.... smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 6 2007, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Okay, I have decided to GOOOOOO! cheerleader.gif DH went ahead and booked two nights at the Cascade Vail Resort & Spa! It is such an amazing deal - Regularly $400 something a night, but we're getting it for $119 a night (off-season) and spa treatments are 2 for 1, so you can't beat that! smile.gif We had a sitter last night for my birthday and Wesley went down for her with just a sippy of whole milk. No problems there. He also slept through the night and I only nursed him one time this morning. I got through almost the whole day without him wanting to nurse AT ALL. I think it helps to have DH around as a distraction and someone other than me to offer a sippy. Woo hoo! We may be okay...but I'm bringing my pump just in case.

BTW.......AF came back today, which is an obvious sign that I'm in the weaning process. dry.gif Not fun. Last period was August of 2005! ohmy.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Oct 8 2007, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

Yippee! I'm so glad you decided to go! Sounds like fun, you guys have a good time!! lovebirds.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0116 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]