Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Restroom issues
luvbug00
  Posted: Jun 29 2011, 08:24 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,984

So Mya got this from both families in part. ( I think..) anyway Mya has a BM maybe once every 2 weeks at best (like me and I'm lucky if it's that often.)
anyway So when she does go it's the biggest BM I have ever seen in my life. I kid you not, envision a hoggie roll. It's very painful for her and she sits in the bathroom and cries while she goes. (her aunt did this as well) She isnt afraid to go. But she clogs our toilet every single time with no fail.
Now I am trying to figure out why this might be? I mean she eats fruits and veggies, normal diet. salad every night at dinner.
What other natural methods can I do to get her body to output more often and stop these monster BM's???

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
cameragirl21
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

those probiotic bars aren't working anymore?
Try some of that yogurt Jamie Lee Curtis always plugs....can't think of what it's called but I've seen it at the store and it comes in various flavors, it's supposed to get your body back on track in two weeks. Try giving her some daily and see if it works.
As for the once in 2 week BMs, usually, it's a sign of not enough fiber in her diet but it's possible that it's just the way her body works.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
cameragirl21
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

sorry double post

This post has been edited by cameragirl21 on Jun 29 2011, 08:43 AM

--------------------

user posted image
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster

luvbug00
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

activia..yea we tried that..didn't work..we increased her fiber intake, spinach and other natural bowl moving foods.
I really am getting worried about it.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I would recommend a visit to the ped. I am not a big fan of prescribing stool softeners because they are habit forming. I know a lot of peds say Miralax isn't, but our ped said it was habit formng but it is ok to use short term to get her back on track. The problem is that if she continues to have this issue, her colon will stretch and she will not be able to go unless she has larger stools. The mirilax will make the stools looser so she can go more often and form a regular habit of going every day... at least that is how it was explained to me in general terms (I am sure it is more technical/medical than that). Mirilax is available over the counter, but I would not just go buy it wihtou seeing a ped. The ped will probably want to make sure there is no other reason (blockage of some sort) and will give you the right dosage for Mya. Ashley has problems from time to time and it is very stressful for both of us. ((hugs))

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ediep
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 81

I agree with DeeDee, see the ped. The problem may just get worse if you don't. I the meantime FIBER! Whole wheat bread, fiber one has reciped for muffins and cookies.

Apple juice always makes Emma go.

good luck

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Does she drink enough water? The once every 2 weeks thing is how I usually am, but when I've noticed that when I'm working out every day I tend to drink a lot more water, and when I'm refilling my 20 oz bottle 4 times a day I don't seem to get constipated. The exercise probably helps too, but I think it's mostly the water. happy.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I agree with the fiber foods, fruits with the skins, potatoes skins, whole grains....and lots of water. We use apple juice for constipation but they don't get juice any other time. I don't think this would work if she had juice often though.

Cut back on cheese, bananas, dairy.

Mirilax is a good start but it is assisting, it all is. Colace would soften up her stools so she won't cry from pain.

The ped. Will have more suggestions.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

My littlest BIL had this problem. He still may, but him and I don't talk about it anymore. tongue.gif My FIL would have to sit in the bathroom for HOURS with him, playing games, etc while he was on the toilet and waiting for him to go. The only thing I KNOW that they've done was buy some super powerful toilet that can handle a big load. tongue.gif Seriously, I'm afraid to flush that thing in fear of being sucked down with it. laugh.gif I know they just got that thing last year and he just turned 13, so I'm assuming he still has the issue, just doesn't need someone in there with him anymore. I know they went to the ped numerous times about it as well, so obviously they didn't think it was an issue.

I know the rule is you should have a BM after every meal. My Dh is that way. Personally it drives me crazy, so I'll stick to once a day. tongue.gif Ryan took evening primrose oil for something, don't know what, and he said that is what started making him go after every meal, instead of once a day or once every couple of days.

Yeah, this is gross topic. tongue.gif laugh.gif If my husband read this he'd shoot me. rolling_smile.gif You all know more about us than I'm sure you wanted to know.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Jun 29 2011, 10:27 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
cameragirl21
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

I was actually going to suggest what Karen said--add vegetable based fats to her diet. I have never had a constipation problem and easily go 3+ times daily (sorry TMI) and I have at least one avocado daily and add plant based oils to my diet everyday...I'm an oil connoisseur, lol, at any given time there are at least 20 different kinds of plant based oils in my house, which is why I often have a plant based oil solution to the various problems some of you post here.
Anyway, I suggested my dad use evening primrose oil for a skin condition he had and while it didn't quite clear up the skin condition, he said he would keep taking it for "other benefits" it was giving him and I knew exactly what he was talking about...same as Karen's DH and my dad would also shoot me if he read what I am writing here.
So I suggest adding some PLANT BASED fats to her diet, like avocados or oil (not corn oil, it's garbage, you're better off with olive oil although I never use olive oil so IDK what effect it will have in this sense but it's a healthier fat than corn oil) and for sure lots of water...I drink at least 100 ounces a day and again, no constipation problems, ever.

--------------------

user posted image
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

Too much fiber without the water can definitely constipate someone! I'm going to go with more water also. Poor girl!!

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

I say Dr. visit and they will recommend prolly Mirilax

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Jun 29 2011, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

We had ben on miralax for a long time, over a year. He got better, needed to go back on it for a while, and then got better again. We just gave him a bigger dose to get him to go, then adjusted it daily to keep him regular.
As for me... coffee + 5 minutes and I am good to go. tongue.gif rolling_smile.gif Is she to young for starbucks? rolling_smile.gif

I would see what the Ped says.
PM
jcc64
Posted: Jun 30 2011, 04:41 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

This was an issue for Corey when she was younger, and the ped and my brother (also a ped) suggested Miralax. You can't just take it once; you have to establish a regular "pattern" of pooping, so I kept her on it for about 2 weeks, and that solved months and months of agony. We were unable to resolve it with diet or fluid intake alone, though in a general sense, it's good to go with whole wheat everything all the time and avoid processed anything as much as possible. Flax seed oil is good (I hide it in salad dressings or spaghetti sauce), dairy and bananas are bad. I always buy double fiber breads, but like someone else said, you have to add lots of water, too. There's no way I think a kid should be drinking 100 oz of water (I couldn't even do that), but try to be more conscious of adding more fluids on a consistent basis.
Good luck!

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

luvbug00
Posted: Jun 30 2011, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Ok I'll try this meralax stuff..

Is she to young for starbucks?

she loves coffee..I haven't let her have much but when she gets her paws on it, it's gone.

We use apple juice for constipation but they don't get juice any other time. I don't think this would work if she had juice often though.

allergic..no go. sad.gif

I'll try this meralax and see how we do..I'll post an update..

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 30 2011, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Nadia, these have been helping Allie - along with making sure she drinks water. It helps that it's hot now and it doesn't take as much coaxing to get her to drink. thumb.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
mckayleesmom
Posted: Jul 1 2011, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

My niece had this problem also...her bowel movements were really painful. They eventually found out that she was lactose intolerant...but it had a reverse reaction to what was common.. She can still eat some dairy in small amounts, but they now use alot of soy and lactaid products to help her.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
Grace
Posted: Jul 2 2011, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,424

People with lactose intolerance do not produce enough of the lactase enzyme to break down lactose. Instead, undigested lactose sits in the gut and gets broken down by bacteria, causing gas, bloating, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.

Foods like cheese or yogurt may be easier to digest than milk, so try a cup of yogurt for dessert or add a piece of cheese to your sandwich. Lactose-free milk is also a great way to get calcium in your diet without the problems that can come with lactose.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0134 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]